Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Czechs - Masters of Snack Food

The Czech Republic is not known for their cuisine. However, there is one area in which they excel - snacking. I am thinking, in particular of "chlebicky" (pronounced Kleh-bee-chkee). Chlebicky are little open-faced sandwiches which can contain any number of ingredients. Martin makes his like this: Spread some potato salad (the kind with the mayonnaise) in a thin layer on the bread (Erika likes to put a layer of good hot mustard under the potato salad). Place a piece of ham or salami on top of the potato salad, and top that with a slice of dill pickle, or maybe an olive. Pop the whole thing in your mouth, and chase with a swig of good Czech beer.

This, along with chips and dip, is what guests at the Kosina household ate on New Year's Eve from 8pm until about 2:30am on New Year's Day. They are the perfect food to accompany a lazy, drawn-out evening of board games and various alcoholic beverages while waiting for the clock to strike midnight. They easily expanded to accommodate an additional three guests, and even the visiting dog showed her approval by licking an abandoned chlebicky platter clean.

I wasn't so crazy about the chlebicky or the dog, but then again my stomach has not been quite right lately. I expressed my queasiness today by finding all sorts of alternatives to the litter box where I could relieve my twitchy bowels. Erika finally went out and bought that cat food that I really like, and I'm feeling better already.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Pawlene! Cousin Andrew will really really need to sample some chlebicky when you get to NYC. With beer, of course. It all sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete