Thursday, February 22, 2007

Limbo Squared Plus Our Foodie Road Trip Itinerary

So I thought it was bad with all the furniture disappearing. Now I hear we are going to be living in "temporary housing" until Martin and Erika find a place they actually like in New York. I can't believe they couldn't find something after 3 days of searching in weather that reached a high of about 27 degrees. I just hope the temporary place has a nice heating vent...

We leave in 9 days and Erika has not packed a single box. I think she's in denial. Either that or she is having too much fun planning the Going Away Party and Scavenger Hunt Extraordinaire...that and the road trip.

Ah yes, the Foodie Road Trip Through the South. We start by driving to Mt. Shasta, then journey down to Marshall, California for a picnic at Hog Island, followed by pizza at Pizzetta 211 in SF. After SF we will visit Uncle Bill and then "Uncle" Chris at the Alpine Lodge and Learning Center for a La Honda dinner party, complete with duck and duck eggs from Chris's menagerie. Next we travel down to Los Angeles to say hi to Frankie and David (another home-cooked dinner!) and then we leave our friends behind and go in search of the best pizza in the U.S. which is supposedly in...Phoenix! After Phoenix there is a long stretch of Texas (and great BBQ!) before we get to Austin and enjoy a Gospel Brunch at Stubb's. From Austin it's a quick trip to New Orleans where we will lunch at Cochon (recommended by Charlie, who was born in Hattiesburg, Mississippi) and have dinner at the Commander's Palace - a N'awlins tradition.

Things get a little fuzzy after that. There is a cheap motel in Atlanta, and then a quick zoom through one or more Carolinas, which should put us right outside Polyface Farm in Virginia a few hours before we are due for dinner in Williamsburg, Virginia, home of Uncle Dave and Beth. I have no doubt we will eat well there.

After that it's just a short hop to Alexandria, Virginia to say hi to Shannon and family, and then...we land somewhere on W 30th St. in New York, New York. We arrive on St. Patrick's Day. I've never had green beer, but I'm not knocking it until I've tried it.

1 comment:

  1. And when you reach New York City, Cousin Andrew will be there to greet you with open arms and a scritch between the ears. Please look after Erika and Martin en route.

    ReplyDelete