Tuesday, June 5, 2007

State Cat

"The Way Life Should Be" appears to have won out over Maine's OLD official state motto, which was "I Lead". We know this because it was on the sign Martin and Erika drove past when they crossed the border from New Hampshire. They were up there or "down east" as they say in Maine, over Memorial Day weekend to celebrate their 1-year wedding anniversary (yay!). Erika decided to do a bit of research into the slogan, and made an Important Discovery along the way. The coolest thing about Maine is that they have, along with a state motto, a state flower, and all that other stuff that you have to memorize in junior high - a State Cat! Yes, the Maine Coon Cat is Maine's Official State Cat. As far as Erika can tell, Maine is the only state with an Official State Cat. From the Maine Secretary of State's page: "Maine Coon Cats are tall, muscular, big-boned cats; males commonly reach 13 to 18 pounds, with females normally weighing about 9 to 12 pounds. Maine Coons don't achieve their full size until they are three to five years old. Their voices set them apart from other cats; they have a distinctive, chirping trill." THIS IS SO *ME*!!! I must be part Coon! Tall? Yes. Muscular? Well, sort of. Big-boned? ABSOLUTELY. Plus, I chirp. I also bark upon occasion, but that is another blog post.

2 comments:

  1. We had downstairs neighbors for awhile who had two Maine Coons. I actually mistook one for a jumbo bag of catfood leaning against the screen door (those bags that are heavy to lift), and she was the *smaller* cat. Their owner would occasionally let them out in the backyard and it was like watching mini fat lions parade about. Amazing! -Molly

    ReplyDelete