Thursday, October 4, 2007

Sunning in the Suburbs

We made it!!! Flying first class is Not Bad, especially when I get to ride on Erika's lap instead of the sub-zero floor of the aircraft. I was certainly not crazy about waiting in the airport, or actually taking off in the plane, but once I treated my fellow passengers to my full range of vocal expression (at top volume), I settled down and was happy to just doze, with an occasional glance out the window. Martin was at the airport to greet us with a box of chocolates and a fully functional automobile. (How about that German engineering?) His trip was very enjoyable - they decided to blow off Vegas in favor of camping out by the hot springs on the East Side of the Sierras and driving through Yosemite Valley. Highlights of the trip were apparently the hot springs and of course the Memphis barbecue.

We are now quite comfortably settled in a lovely cottage in Palo Alto with a large yard and flower garden, humming birds, squirrels, and even another cat (Montana). We are not friends yet, but have established a truce which involves daily staring contests from our respective doorways. Erika has spent the week remembering how to get around the Bay Area and taking long, sunny walks in the Stanford Hills. Martin is learning all about his new job and how people do business differently in California. Example: No 9am meetings. If engineering is involved, no meetings before 11am. He is already quite enamored, mostly by the free mochas and the casual dress policy. California is Cool!

With thanks again to the Lin family, who found our current abode, we are signing the lease on an absolutely lovely flat in Bernal Heights (San Francisco) on Friday and will move at the end of the month. Yay!!! You can read more about Bernal Heights here and here.
The commute from SF to Sunnyvale is actually not bad. Martin has 3 options: the train, the company shuttle (complete with wireless connectivity and free snacks!), and driving. From here, we will start our search in earnest for the goat farm and attached dream house. Life is good. Now I see a butterfly I need to chase if I can tear myself away from this sunny spot...

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you've found yourself a fine location Pawlene. Keep your Mama's spirits up as she adjusts to the 'burbs'.

    But definitely lay off too much of the 'nip.

    ReplyDelete