Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Guest Post from Erika: Dieting in France

Ha! Whose bright idea was it, to try and lose weight in France? Every day seems to be a special occasion here, especially with our recent visitors, Peter's Kosina grandparents. I have not been able to stick to the two glasses of wine per day rule even ONCE! First there is lunch, with all sorts of regional cheeses that beg for a nice rose if the weather is warm, a lovely nuanced red if it is cloudy. And then, in the evening, we have aperatifs before dinner. Usually a nice kir unless dad is making cocktails... And then dinner itself - it would be a crime to skip wine for dinner, especially with what my mom has been cooking up. Blanquette de veau, marinated barbequed pork, grilled dourade...

The other obvious option to skip would be dessert. You must be crazy if you think I'm going to pass up homemade shortcake with peaches macerated in sweet wine or molten chocolate cake with raspberries and creme fraiche. Ok, so maybe the gigantic Belle Helene sundae that my very sweet father in law bought for me yesterday was overkill. I don't eat like this every meal of course. There are days when we have only melon or a few cookies for dessert, or just a tiny dish of chocolate ice cream.

So, you say, I must be exercising every day to counteract this kind of diet! Does watching the Olympics count? :-)

Despite all of this, I seem to have lost SEVEN pounds. Which makes me think that the scale here, even when translated from kilos, is a bit off. The only thing is...Peter has GAINED two pounds. The scale can't be off both ways. And so, I will continue my French "diet"...Profitez!, say the French. Enjoy life while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment