Inspired by an article in my new favorite magazine, the 70-degree weather, and an increasing sense of guilt at being the only member of the "Green Team" at work who drives a car to work every single day (sometimes TWICE a day when Martin gives me a ride), I decided to ride my bike to work today. Well actually I decided to ride my bike to work several months ago, but today was the first day I was able to overcome the significant inertia and get on my bike and do it.
I had a million excuses not to. I couldn't find the right key to the lock, I couldn't figure out how to use my new bike pump, I hadn't really picked out a route, there was dirt on my bike, I was late...
But (after a LOT of help from Martin) I finally just jumped on the darn bike and took off in the general direction of work. It's only 4 miles - I figured I couldn't get too lost. Anyone who knows me well is laughing right now.
The ride started off a little wobbly - I haven't been on a bike since August and I haven't been on THIS bike since I lived in Portland. I ended up going the wrong way on a one way street for a few blocks, and then I had to weave my way through a homeless encampment where the drug addicts were just starting to stir and totter onto the bike path. The scariest part was threading my way between the seafood garbage truck (Pee-Yoo!) and the three MUNI buses that were heading like cows to the barn into the MUNI yard. Then I started to really enjoy myself. What an adrenaline rush!
By the time I got to work, I was feeling GREAT. Why hadn't I done this before? I was also feeling Smug. I had saved energy and money AND gotten in a little workout. Yay, me! I made my way proudly up stairs (no elevator for me today!), managed to fit "Yeah, I rode my BIKE today" into a morning greeting or two, and sat down at my desk, only to realize...my laptop was at home.
sigh.
A co-worker very kindly let me borrow her beautiful champagne-colored Mercedes wagon (a far cry from old one-eyed Maude, who recently lost a headlight to the same bozo who ripped a hole in the wing of Martin's plane). I returned home, retrieved the laptop, cooed briefly over the sleeping baby, and slunk back into work. So much for saving the environment.
On the way home after work, I followed a pack of other LED-blinking cyclists (safety in numbers!), tried a new route (and only made one complete, unintentional circle), and shaved 5 minutes off my time! I might even try it again tomorrow...
Monday, January 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Goooo Erika! Yay!
ReplyDelete