Oh hi. I could start by listing various excuses why Pawlene hasn't posted anything in nearly two months, but that would be boring. She is a cat. She's been catching up on sleep. And adjusting to all sorts of new house sitters.
The Kosinas, on the other hand, have been traveling like crazy. And this is the first instant where I have been sitting, relaxed, in one spot, with nothing pressing hanging over my head and no baby tugging at my leg, in quite some time.
A quick summary of our travels to date:
1. A week in Esalen for a dance workshop, during which Peter became scarily ill and Child Protective Services came to take Erika away because she forgot to bring Infant Tylenol to a remote (one hour from a hospital) place with her baby. It all worked out. Erika missed out on a sweat lodge, but learned a lot from the experience. Peter made 74 new friends, all of who knew him by name 3 days into the workshop. Mostly beautiful, baby-hungry hippie women. This is why I don't let Martin take Peter off for 5-day workshops with beautiful hippie women.
2. Two weeks in France plus a week in Italy sandwiched in the middle, during which Peter was much doted upon by 3 different grandparents and various friends. Unfortunate side effect of Martin swearing to never ever fly on a commercial airline with Peter ever again. Ever. They did enjoy splashing in the lake though. I think it was both of their favorite parts. That and all the good French wine (Martin, not Peter).
3. A week and half in Nevada City, where I sit now, on the 89-degree front porch of "Auntie" Kristina's house, writing this blog entry. We put quite a bit of work into the place this time around, making hundreds of spider enemies with the vacuum, brooms, mop and dust rag. I have apologized profusely to my little arachnid friends, letting them live as often as I can, but I am on a serious one-woman mission to eradicate the annoying giant weed that looks like a walnut tree that has popped up EVERYWHERE since we last visited. Be gone, giant weed!
The status of our very own house in Grass Valley continues to creep towards certainty. We tested the internet on Monday and it appears to work. So now we wait until the bank makes up their mind on whether or not our offer is a fair price. They have until August. The current owners are packed and ready to move. They did drop a furry little bomb on us on Monday however. There is not only a resident snake that we are expected to care for, but a resident CAT. Now Pawlene is the most patient kitty in the world with little children, and she even tolerates dogs rather well, but Other Cats are another story. She hates them. All of them. With passion and fury. This particular cat lives outside, and Pawlene's primary territory is inside, so we may be able to work something out, if in fact we do come into possession of this particular house. Stay tuned.
In the mean time, I am exploring grocery stores (Briar Patch ROCKS almost as hard as New Seasons in Portland) and various toddler-friendly play places. The South Yuba river is at the top of our list, as is the Grass Valley Library. After Peter's nap today: Pioneer Park, which we can walk to from the house. Exercise, yay!
I am also eating WAY too much ice cream (a habit I picked up in Italy) and wondering how I am ever going to fit an Exercise Routine back into my life. After August. Yes, more travel in August. Our much-postponed trip to the Midwest, God (and the gods of private air travel) willing. A visit from my parents, which will allow Martin and I to escape for a night or two sans bebe. (!!!) Burning Man is high on the list, but it's hard to go for just a day or two. And then it's birthday season for the Willett family. sigh. I guess this is what summer is all about. At least I get a few moments like this, watching ants crawl on the deck and lizards sunning themselves in the driveway as I wait for the telltale wail of a baby who is Awake and ready to see his momma again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Glad the blog is back! FB is ok for rudimentary communication, but the blog is smart.
ReplyDelete