Billie Holliday had it right - Autumn is the best time of the year to be in New York. Mornings start out crisp, blue, and sparkling, and by noon it is in the 80s and everyone is outside, in shorts and sundresses, marveling at the good fortune of Indian summer and outdoor dining. I am viewing all of this from the window next to the dining room table, where I am normally not supposed to be, but all bets are off since we are moving at the end of the week. Autumn seems an especially appropriate time to do this - leave while the party is still going, but heed the early warning signs, like the leaves slowly disappearing from the tree outside of the bedroom window. I remember that sun in my eye from May, when we first moved in here and the trees were still bare.
I tried out my new rolling cat carrier for a journey to the vet yesterday - just two blocks across the bumpy slate sidewalks of Greenwich Village and I was miserable. I did get my Certificate of Health though, and am ready to fly, drug-free, to California. It's only 6 hours, I think I can make it. Erika is not so sure. That plane had better be on time.
Erika is not so ready to fly - she has almost achieved her goal of visiting every Danny Meyer restaurant in New York. An incredible birthday dinner at Eleven Madison Park almost sealed the deal. Only Blue Smoke, the BBQ restaurant/jazz club remains. Hopefully San Francisco will catch on to the whole Texas BBQ trend, so that another visit to Texas can be avoided.
A quick visit from the Willett parents last week ensured 3 days of Very Good Eating - Lombardi's (the oldest pizza parlor in America) was disappointing, but August for Dad's birthday was amazing (Schwarzwalder Kirsch Torte for Oktoberfest!), and the pastrami sandwich at Katz's Deli never disappoints. A visit over the weekend from Uncle Neil brought its own culinary delights - a 2-lb block of Rogue River Blue from Oregon!
Neil and Martin were last heard from 12 hours after they departed New York City. They had just dined at the "Vegas" restaurant in Pikesville, TN and were determined to reach Memphis by midnight. That's over 1000 miles from NYC for those of you who are following along on a map. Those crazy boys...
Tuesday, September 25, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment