Monday, November 2, 2009

Guest Post from Erika: Best Halloween Ever

As many of you know, I have resisted Halloween for years. This year, however, as Peter is really starting to become aware of the world around him, I figured I couldn't skip out. And so I delved in, if not with gusto, with something close to mild enthusiasm. And you know what? I had the best Halloween ever! Watching Peter trick or treat for the first time was such a crack-up, and I must say his outfit was a big hit. Big thanks to mama Katie for the cool baby tattoos. Mom and Dad even got into the act. Here are some photos...

Peter the Punk Rocker:

Little punk with mama punk:

And papa punk:

It's just part of the costume, really. We never give him beer at home. Oh no, never:

Trick or treating on Cortland street (picture courtesy of Mateus' mom, Beth). He looks one going on about fifteen. That's me in the leopard print, just off screen. See! I really *did* dress up!:

Here he is with his buddies. They all look a little dazed by the whole experience:

Did I mention he had his first Reeses Peanut Butter Cup? First candy actually. It was a hit, to say the least (duh). Mom had to, uh, confiscate the rest...

The rest of the evening was fun too. We got exactly ONE trick or treater. Well, two, but they came together. I shoveled as much candy as I could into their little bags. The rest is slowly disappearing.

Then we had a proper, UN-Halloween-like interlude, eating Raclette in front of our (gas) fireplace with the windows open because it was actually too warm to have a fire, but we needed something to melt the darned cheese.

Then I succumbed to my one annual viewing of a horror film, Martin's choice. He chose "Pelts". He thinks he chose wisely. I'm still confused about why anyone would willingly subject themselves to watching possessed raccoons take over the minds of furriers to exact their gory revenge, although I could understand the motivation of the raccoons. At least the director was Italian, so the fashion was fabulous and the women were beautiful.

Now. Any suggestions as to what to do with gelatin-based hamburger-shaped "candy"? Again, why do people MAKE this stuff, not to mention consume it?

Anyway, I guess I'm saying I can get into this stuff once a year. For the children. And the Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. :-)

1 comment:

  1. As I have said many times, the Reese's Peanut Butter Cup is nature's most perfect food.

    ReplyDelete